Gadsden Car Accident Attorneys
At Mann & Potter, PC, we provide sound legal advice and personal injury representation to accident victims in the Gadsden area. Not only is our office convenient to clients that live and work in this area but we are also intimately familiar with the court system that has jurisdiction over personal injury and wrongful death cases.
Founding partners Ted Mann and Robert Potter established their own firm in 1997 on the principle that everyone deserves the same quality legal representation as large corporations and their insurance companies. Our firm’s attorneys have received the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell, which is the industry’s independent benchmark for excellence.
How Do I Know if I Have a Personal Injury Case?
In legal terms, personal injury refers to any injury that you sustain to your body, mind, or emotions. But this isn’t enough to qualify for a legal case or prompt an insurance company to offer you a fair settlement.
You would have a valid case if you sustained an injury that was directly caused by the negligence or wrongdoing of another party. Some of the most common types of personal injury cases we handle involve:
- Car and motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Commercial truck accidents
- Premises-related accidents, such as slip-and-fall cases
- Defective products cases
- Medical malpractice cases
- Construction accidents
- Wrongful death
Determining who was responsible for your injuries may not be a simple matter. This might require an independent investigation and the involvement of expert witnesses. When you work with a seasoned personal injury team, you’ll have the resources necessary to build a solid case.
Beware of Hiring an Inexperienced Personal Injury Attorney
One essential thing to know after suffering a personal injury and seeking legal counsel is that hiring an inexperienced personal injury attorney is not likely to help your case, and it could even harm it. It’s obvious that a lawyer who has not spent many years investigating accidents, filing motions, negotiating with insurance companies, and litigating cases may mishandle your case.
Of course, attorneys get better at handling cases over time, but do you want your case to be the one they’re practicing on? Keeping this in mind, it’s not always a simple matter to differentiate inexperience from experience, particularly if an attorney has slick marketing materials or talks a good game. Here are a few questions you can ask to help determine a potential lawyer’s level of experience:
- How long have you been practicing personal injury law?
- How many cases like this have you handled before?
- What percentage of your cases settle or go to court?
- What is your case success record?
If a personal injury attorney is either unwilling or unable to give you detailed answers to these questions, it might be time to look elsewhere for quality representation.
What Should I Do After an Accident?
Being involved in any type of accident is frightening. Whether it is a car or truck crash or something else, it’s vital that you remain calm under pressure, particularly if someone else was to blame for your injuries. Just after your accident, take a deep breath and do the following:
- Make sure everyone is okay.Contact law enforcement, an ambulance, or both, depending on the circumstances. Some police will only come to the scene of an accident if there are injuries.
- Take pictures.Right after an accident is the best time to document what happened with photos. If you are able, take as many pictures as possible. If not, ask someone else to do it.
- Gather information.This is also the time when you should speak with witnesses and gather other important information. If it was a vehicle accident, write down names and driver’s license and tag numbers. Get witness names and phone numbers as well. You should also collect insurance coverage information whenever possible.
- Call your insurance company. When a vehicle accident happens, you are required to report it to your own insurance company or agent immediately. If this was the fault of another party, you should also speak with a personal injury attorney.
Factors that Could Affect Your Accident Claim
In addition to the things you should do after an accident, there are several things you should avoid. Saying the wrong thing or making an ill-advised decision could negatively impact your case. Some of the tips that can help you stay out of trouble and achieve the most favorable result include:
- Never admit fault. Alabama law prohibits people who contribute to their accidents from collecting compensation for damages. Avoid saying “I’m sorry” after an accident or anything else that suggests you might have been at fault.
- Only state facts. Only discuss facts with your insurance company and the police, no one else.Don’t give statements. Avoid giving recorded or written statements to an insurance company until you speak with an attorney.
- Seek medical care. Promptly seek medical attention for your well-being and to clearly document your injuries.
- Consult with an experienced accident attorney. Speak with a qualified personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
How Much Does an Accident Attorney Cost?
A reputable personal injury attorney will put their money where their mouth is. If you are asked to pay hourly for services or hand over a contingency fee, you are dealing with the wrong firm. These tactics are a signal that an attorney is only looking to make a profit off of your case and may not be interested in pursuing the best outcome on your behalf.
At Mann & Potter, we work only on a contingency fee basis. This means that the attorney’s fee is based on several things – whether your attorney can achieve a settlement agreement or judgment and how much that settlement amount is. If we are unable to secure compensation for your losses, you will not owe us a single cent for our services.
Contact Our Gadsden Accident Attorneys Today
Suffering an injury at the hands of another party can be terrifying, and you may have a long list of questions about your options if you are struggling with the harm you or a loved one has incurred. At Mann & Potter, PC, we understand what you’re dealing with, and want to ensure you that our number one goal is to advocate for your rights and needs.
If you or someone you love has been injured in the Gadsden area, contact our office today at 205-879-9661 to schedule a free consultation. We will thoroughly review the circumstances surrounding your accident and immediately outline a plan of action for your case.